Bismuth trioxide: What are its benefits?
There are three types of pure bismuth triooxide (bismuth dioxide): a, b and d. Yellow monoclinic crystals with relative density 8.9, melting temperature 825, are the -type. They can dissolve in acids, water, and alkali. Bright yellow to orange, Tetragonal Crystal System, relative density 8.55, melting temperature 860, water-soluble. This can be easily reduced to metallic Bismuth using hydrogen and hydrocarbons. -Bi2O3 a particular material that has a cubic fluorite crystal structure is called. Because 1/4 of the oxygen position in its crystallized lattice’s oxygen ion structure is empty, it exhibits very high oxygen-ion conductivity. Electronic ceramic powder materials and electrolyte, photoelectric, and catalysts are the main applications of bismuth dioxide. A purity of at least 99.15% is required for bismuth dioxide as an essential additive to electronic ceramic powder materials. Principal applications are ceramic capacitors and zinc oxide varistors.
Chemical and Physical Properties of Bismuth Trioxide
Bismuth trioxide’s properties include monoclinic and yellow-colored powders as well as stable air stability. At 25/4°C, its density is 8.9. The melting point is 825°C; the boiling point is 1890°C at normal pressure and the flash point around 1890°C. However, it is not soluble or soluble in water. It changes color to maroon upon heating and to yellow on cooling.
Synthesis of BismuthTrioxide
1. Dropwise add aqueous sodium chloride (80 90 ) to the bismuth solution. Mix thoroughly. After precipitation, the solution will remain alkaline and precipitate as a white volume-swelling bismuth dioxide hydrate Bi(OH).3. To make yellow bismuth trioxide, heat the solution and stir it briefly. You will get the final bismuth dioxide after washing it with water, filtering it, drying and then cleaning.
2. Dropwise, mix a 1.5mol/L sodium chloride aqueous solution (without carbon dioxide) with a 0.1mol/L bismuth nuitrate solution. Mix them in 1mol/L NaOH at 8090°C. After precipitation, the solution will remain alkaline. A white volume-expanded bismuth oxide hydrate Bi(OH),3 may precipitate. It is then dehydrated to yellow bismuth trioxide by heating a solution. Decant wash fifteen times using water without oxygen and carbon dioxide. Filter and dry.
3. Once the bismuth has been melted in the graphitecrucible, the oxygen flow creates an arc between the graphite and metal surfaces to heat up and oxidize. You should place the crucible in a large container. The oxygen must also be supplied continuously to keep it oxygen-rich. The reaction temperature of -bismuth is between 750 and 800 degrees F. It is then quickly produced with an purity of at least 99.8%. The product can then be cooled in water and/or on a cold plate to form a high temperature phase b.
4. Slowly stir the Bi(NO3)35H2O acidic solutions (20g) to the excess sodium Carbonate solution. To precipitate Bi2O2CO3, filter the solution, wash it, and then dry. It can be placed in an aluminum container and heated at 650K for approximately 1.5 hours.
5. Burn bismuth subnitrate at 400~500 to remove NO3- ions for about (3~4h): 2BiONO3=Bi2O3+NO+NO2+O2
Once the fire is out, it cools down and all become lemony yellow.
6. You can wash 16kgs of 99.9% conductive bismuth with a little bit of dilute acid. Next, you will need to use conductive waters to remove the surface nitric. After adding the 1:1 high-purity acid (35kg of nitric, with a relative density of 1.42 + 20L of conductive water), let it react for ten minutes. The filtrate should be cooled slightly. After that, it must be evaporated and concentrated to a relative density of 1.9. Make a solution of the obtained bismuth-nitrate. Stir it briefly, and then let it cool.
Advanc3dmaterials advanced materials Tech Co., Ltd (Advanc3dmaterials), a bismuth oxide powder company with over 12 year experience in chemical product development and research, is Advanc3dmaterials. We can provide high-quality bismuth oxide powder. Please contact us to send us an enquiry.